kojibeya

Sunday, June 10, 2007


I created these paintings in January for my show. You may realize that I deal with a lot of empty space, and also, these look like drawings. Since I was teaching a drawing class at that time, I was thinking about the line quality and positive and negative space. These elements are basic but also significant for my art.
One huge different between last paintings and these paintings is the canvas. I used to use a canvas with jesso but I changed to a raw canvas. I feel the raw canvas creates depth in my image. My subjects are floating or dancing in the space. My professor told me that I was trying to mimic the white color on the paper to my canvas. Even though I was not conscious about that, I automatically used jesso, which is white color.
I was glad that I was brave enough to try the new idea before my exhibition. There is always a risk but we need to take a risk to go through a new stage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home